The National Informal STEM Education Network (NISE Net) is pleased to offer 350 free Explore Science: Earth & Space 2019 toolkits to new and existing eligible partners in the United States. In collaboration with NASA, the NISE Network has assembled a new set of engaging, hands-on Earth and space science experiences with connections to science, technology, and society.
How to Apply for a 2019 Physical Toolkit
- Deadline: Applications for physical Explore Science: Earth & Space 2019 toolkits are due November 1, 2018.
- Online submission: Applications must be submitted online using SurveyGizmo.
Online SurveyGizmo application link:
- Overview: The overview includes application instructions, eligibility requirements, and project expectations. Please read the overview and preview the application before applying:
- Preview the application (just for reference application must be filled out online):
Can I get a 2017 or 2018 Physical Toolkit?
- Applications for physical Explore Science: Earth & Space 2017 and 2018 toolkits have closed and all the physical toolkits have been distributed. Digital versions of these kits are available for download:
The NISE Network hosts a series of one-hour online workshops featuring a variety of topics. All online workshops are recorded and archived online. To see a list of future workshops, sign up as a participant, or view recordings of past workshops, visit http://nisenet.org/
Online workshop about the 2019 toolkit:
- Learn More About the 2019 Explore Science: Earth & Space Toolkit (Recorded)
Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- The September 12, 2017 recording is available for viewing:
Toolkit Contents & Audiences
Three hundred and fifty (350) free Explore Science: Earth & Space physical 2019 toolkits will be awarded to successful applicants from eligible organizations.
- Activities are designed for use in children’s museums, science centers, science museums, public planetariums and observatories, and NASA visitor centers in the United States.
- Activities are designed for family audiences with a range of experiences appropriate for visitors ages 4 through adult.
Explore Science: Earth & Space toolkits will include:
- Ten hands-on activities to engage the public in Earth and space sciences including: heliophysics, Earth science, planetary science, astrophysics, and their connections to society
- Professional development materials including activity training videos
- Event planning guides
- Marketing and promotional materials
In addition to the physical toolkits, all digital materials will be available online as a free download. The NISE Network will also be hosting a series of one-hour online workshops featuring a variety of topics. All online workshops will be recorded and archived.
Timeline for 2019 Physical Toolkit
Summer 2018: Online application opens to apply for a free physical toolkit
November 1, 2018: Deadline to submit application
December 2018: Notification of award decisions
Early 2019: Toolkits delivered to successful applicants
March - May 2019: Successful applicants host required public event(s)
June 15, 2019: Event reports due online (Note: In additional to the required report, the project evaluators will also be sending out an additional annual survey in October)
Future years: In addition to the 2019 toolkit, we anticipate developing and distributing an additional Explore Science: Earth & Space toolkits in 2010.
The physical toolkit is designed for informal science education public events and outreach. To be eligible to receive a physical toolkit, organizations must be:
Located in the United States
Public informal science outreach and education institutions such as:
science museums and science centers,
natural history museums,
public planetariums and observatories, and
NASA visitor centers.
Please note that K-12 schools, afterschool programs, libraries, parks, and astronomy clubs are not eligible to receive physical toolkits. Consider downloading a digital toolkit if your organization does not meet eligibility criteria. Digital toolkits will be available as as free download in February 2019 at
Recipients of Explore Science: Earth & Space physical toolkits:
The following NISE Network partner organizations were awarded Explore Science: Earth & Space physical toolkits:
2017 - 250 physical kits awarded: www.nisenet.org/earth-space-toolkit-recipients-2017
2018 - 250 physical kits awarded: www.nisenet.org/earth-space-toolkit-recipients-2018
2019 - 350 physical kits will be awarded: - applications due November 1, 2018
Learn more about the application process
Digital versions of toolkits are available as a free download:
2017 Explore Science: Earth & Space toolkit: www.nisenet.org/earthspacekit-2017
2018 Explore Science: Earth & Space toolkit: www.nisenet.org/earthspacekit-2018
2019 Explore Science: Earth & Space toolkit: available in February 2019
About the Project
Learn more abut the project: http://www.nisenet.org/space
This material is based upon work supported by NASA under cooperative agreement award numbers NNX16AC67A and 80NSSC18M0061. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).